Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Icing on the Cake

Just to clear a few things up before I start, my name is Stacie Pace. My name is not Julia Childs, Carlos whats-his-name from Carlos' Bakery, or Martha Stewart.  With that being said, I set out on a mission to find the perfect cake for Toph's birthday this year. After looking over a few recipes, I decided on Carrot Cake Supreme. In this recipe, supreme = a supreme amount of sugar and fat. Even though it wasn't the healthiest cake (I'm pretty sure "healthy cake" is an oxymoron)  on the planet, birthdays only come once a year, so I decided to splurge.  
The actual cake baking went off without a hitch, which was a pleasant surprise. When the time came to frost the cake, I was feeling pretty confident about things.  I made the delicious cream cheese frosting and started icing the cake. 
 My assistant could not keep her fingers out of the frosting.

My first problem was that I had made two cakes to stack on one another, but I didn't have two pans that were the same size and shape. I improvised and made one in a square dish and the other in a circle dish. I didn't find this to be a problem until I tried to match them up during the stacking process....it didn't quite work. I wasn't going to let that get me down, and I continued on. As I stacked the cakes and continued frosting the cake, I started realizing that my cake may not look like the picture I saw on the cooking blog.  I just kept adding more frosting in hopes that it would hide my mismatched shapes and less than par frosting skills. I 'll let you be the judge on whether or not that worked. 


I've included the cooking blog picture of the carrot cake so you can have a reference as to what the cake should look like. (Just in case you are confused, the cooking blog picture is above and my picture is below)


All I can say after revealing those pictures is that the cake was very delicious. Toph said this is the best tasting carrot cake he has ever had. 
Here is the birthday boy with the amazing cake. Isn't he so lucky to have such a talented wife?

4 comments:

  1. I think Toph is very lucky!! The extra (dripping) frosting probably made the cake that much better....yum!!! I really think the cake looks delicious. Addy's hair looks super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I'm grateful you told us which cake was made by which person. If I ever try to decorate a cake to look like a melting iceburg you will be the first person I call to get advise. (What? you weren't trying to make it look like a dripping iceberg? I had no idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacie, I just saw your blog and it is fun to catch up with your cute family. Thanks for putting the link on Facebook. Addy is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOO funny Stacie! You crack me up. Love the cake. :)

    ReplyDelete